In preparation for this discussion, read Chapters 4-6 from your Jossey-Bass reader, and the Brain-(not) based education: Dangers of misunderstanding and misapplication of neuroscience research article.
- Alfernick and Farmer-Dougan (2010) discuss neuroscience based practices (Right vs. Left Brain instruction, Critical Periods, Brain-based education, and brain-compatible teaching). After reading the article, you will respond to the assigned discussion points/questions based on your last name and the corresponding topic.
- My last name starts with D so you have to answer questions on bottom for left -right brain instruction
Last Name Starts With
A – E
Left-Right brain instruction
- Using the above readings, answer the following three prompts:
- Define and explain the neuroscience based practice that corresponds to your last name.
- Discuss how this principle relates to special education and how it impacts learning in the classroom.
- Evaluate the premise of whether or not neuroscience based practices could be beneficial for special education classrooms.
- Explain your conclusion by referencing theory, research, and professional experiences.