Prior to beginning this assignment, read the PSY650 Week Two Treatment Plan , Case 16: Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder in Gorenstein and Comer (2014), and Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorders in Hamblin and Gross (2012).
PSY650 Week Two Treatment Plan Behaviorally Defined Symptoms:
Billy exhibits both inattention (e.g., short attention span, difficulty sustaining attention on a consistent basis, noncompliance with instructions, easily distracted by external stimuli) and hyperactivity-impulsivity (e.g., high energy level, difficulty remaining seated, excessive motor activity, difficulty waiting his turn, blurting out answers in class, poor social skills).
Billy’s symptoms were apparent before the age of 12, and occurred at home and in school.
Diagnostic Impression: Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, Combined Presentation
Long-Term Goal: Demonstrate marked improvement in impulse control.
Short-Term Goal 1: Discontinue taking stimulant medication and manage symptoms with behavior modification techniques.
Intervention 1: Billy’s psychiatrist will monitor the effectiveness of the medication and side effects every four weeks.
Intervention 2: Billy’s parents will attend six individualized “Parental Training” sessions and apply newly learned behavioral modification techniques in the home.
Intervention 3: Billy will attend six “Social Skills” trainings to learn skills such as cooperation, speaking calmly, and making polite requests.
Intervention 4: Billy’s teachers will implement a “Token Economy” where he obtains tangible rewards in response to desired behaviors. For additional information regarding Billy’s case history and the outcome of the treatment interventions, please see Dr. Remoc’s session notes under Case 16 in Gorenstein and Comer’s (2015), Case Studies in Abnormal Psycholog
Assess the evidence-based practices implemented in this case study by addressing the following issues:
- Explain the connection between each theoretical orientation used by Dr. Remoc and the four interventions utilized in the case.
- Consider Dr. Remoc’s utilization of two theoretical frameworks to guide her treatment plan. Assess the efficacy of integrating two orientations based on the information presented in the case study. Describe some potential problems with prescribing medication as the only treatment option for children with ADHD.
- Identify tasks and positive reinforcements that might be included in Billy’s token economy chart given the behavior issues described in the case. (There are articles in the recommended resources that may assist you in this portion of the assignment.)
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the four treatment interventions implemented by Dr. Remoc and support your statements with information from the case and two to three peer-reviewed articles from the Ashford University Library.
- Recommend three additional treatment interventions that would be appropriate in this case. Use information from the Hamblin and Gross “Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorders” chapter to help support your recommendations. Justify your selections with information from the case.
The Case Analysis must include:
Must use at least two peer-reviewed sources from the Ashford University Library… Please cite references on seperate reference page and in the paper ( APA FORMAT)
- Must be 4 to 5 double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style