This week’s study notes and your textbook emphasized the importance of understanding multiculturalism in effective interviewing. We often take for granted our own assumptions, values, and ways of perceiving the world until we encounter people from another culture. Recall a time when you experienced “culture shock” by traveling to another part of the world or by interacting with someone from another culture and were surprised by some of your own assumptions. If you have not interacted with people from different cultures, think about a book or film in which you became aware of your own assumptions and discovered that they were not universal. If you are having trouble, consider renting the movies Slumdog Millionaire, The House of Sand and Fog, Mi Familia, or Double Happiness.
For this discussion assignment:
- Identify and explain an example of “culture shock” either from your own experience or from a movie or book.
- Explain how your personal assumptions were challenged.
- Discuss what you learned about your own beliefs and if your beliefs were changed in any way.
- As appropriate, cite the online course, the textbook, and other credible, scholarly sources to substantiate the points you are making.
- Apply APA standards for writing and citations to your work.
Grading CriteriaMaximum PointsQuality of initial posting, including fulfillment of assignment instructions16Quality of responses to classmates12Frequency of responses to classmates4Reference to supporting readings and other materials4Language and grammar4Total:40