Assignment 1: Discussion Question: Effective Questioning
By the due date assigned, respond to the discussion question assigned Submit your response to the appropriate Discussion Area. Use the same Discussion Area to comment on your classmates’ submissions and continue the discussion until through the end of the module.
Jacob, a 13-year-old male, is caught shoplifting a hoodie at a local department store. Security detained Jacob and called the police. Jacob was then interviewed at the local police station. His parents were called and attended his interview with the detective.
The detective asks Jacob, “Why did you take the garment? Didn’t you think you would be caught? What did you think your parents would say? Why did you do such a stupid thing?”
- What do you think is wrong in this scenario?
- What do you think Jacob is feeling?
- What do you think Jacob’s nonverbal behavior would exhibit?
- If you were the detective, how would your questions differ? Give an example of three questions you would have presented Jacob.
- What type of interview strategy would you have used?
- In what type of environment would you conduct the interview?
Respond to at least two other posts and cite, as appropriate, the online course, the textbook, and other credible, scholarly sources to substantiate the points you are making.