Case Study 2
Wade is a newly diagnosed diabetic (Type 2) and needs to lower his sugars in his diet. He often stops at Dunkin Donuts for iced lattes twice a day, and skips breakfast or has a pastry at work. Wade eats a garden salad with full fat dressing at lunch with a juice and a small cookie, and for dinner he eats a can of soup, a bowl of cereal, or grabs a bagel with cream cheese. Wade often has constipation, and feels tired a lot. He lives alone, and cannot afford to join the gym; he has one at his apartment complex, but feels too intimidated to go.
Please answer the following questions:
1. List the problems with Wade’s current diet in regards to her diabetes and constipation.
2. What are the benefits of increasing dietary fiber with diabetic patients?
3. What foods could Wade eat to increase dietary fiber?
4. What suggestions do you have for Wade’s diet and food choices?
5. What suggestions do you have for Wade’s lifestyle that may improve her diabetes and health?