Research Article Identification
Read each of the abstracts for the articles listed below and then select one of them to be the full article that you will use for all the written assignments in this course. The abstracts and full-text versions of the articles can be accessed through the databases in the Ashford University Library. On the Library home page, use FindIt@AU to search most of the databases simultaneously. The article choices are:
- Chambers, E., Cook, S., Thake, A., Foster, A., Shaw, S., Hutten, R., Parry, G., & Ricketts, T. (2015). BMC Psychiatry, 15, 172. doi:10.1186/s12888-015-0550-6
- Cruwys, T., South, E. I., Greenaway, K. H., & Haslam, S. A. (2015). . Social Psychological and Personality Science, 6(1), 65-74. doi:10.1177/1948550614543309
- Deliens, T., Clarys, P., De Bourdeaudhuij, I., & Deforche, B. (2014). BMC Public Health, 14(1), 53. doi:10.1186/1471-2458-14-53
- Ko, S. J., Sadler, M. S., & Galinsky, A. D. (2015). . Psychological Science, 26(1), 3-14. doi:10.1177/0956797614553009
- Murphy, D., Hunt, E., Luzon, O., & Greenberg, N. (2014). European Journal of Psychotraumatology, 5, 1-8. doi:10.3402/ejpt.v5.21759
- Patrick, V. M., & Hagtvedt, H. (2012). Journal of Consumer Research, 39(2), 371-381. doi:10.1086/663212
If you have questions about how to search for articles, you may refer to the tutorial titled, “Finding an Article When You Have the Citation”, which is available within the Ashford University Library. In addition, the Library has 24/7 chat to assist you with reference questions.
After making your selection, read the “Methods” section within the article. Write a two- to- three page paper (excluding title and reference pages) that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center, presenting the information listed below. Your paper should begin with an introduction paragraph (including a thesis statement) and end with a concluding paragraph reaffirming the thesis and summarizing the major points made in the body of the paper. All sources used in the paper (such as the chosen article and the textbook) must be cited in the body of the paper and listed as references on a separate page at the end.
The body of your paper must contain the following criteria:
- Identify the study by title and authors.
- Determine what question(s) the authors are trying to answer by doing this research.
- Associate the chosen study with a specific research area of psychology based on the information on research area in Chapter 1 of your course textbook. Explain your reasoning.
- Summarize ethical issues which were addressed in the article and analyze the ethical principles applied. Can you discern additional ethical issues that apply but were not mentioned?